Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Back Home For Thanksgiving


   Crissy looked out her window, happy to once again be back home and overlooking the lagoon which waited right outside her back door. Somehow, this was even more enchanting that the beautiful beaches of Hawaii. Maybe because it was more private. This was a lush paradise exclusive to Crissy and Roger, which made it far more special than even the picturesque tropical location Crissy had stayed in for the previous weeks. It had been an eventful trip to Hawaii, and the return home seemed far more relaxing than the visit to the youngest State in the republic. Crissy wandered back into the bedroom, where her husband Roger was content to just stretch out in their bed. He hadn't even bothered to remove his jacket and shoes. Crissy smiled.

   "Most people relax on their vacations more than they do at home."

   "It's always good to get back home." Roger didn't even open his eyes.

   "Sounds like we're going to be extra thankful this Thanksgiving." Crissy curled up next to Roger and played her fingers through his chest hair. This activity made Roger open his eyes slightly as he smiled at her.

   "Every day is Thanksgiving for me, Cris. You have no idea how grateful I am to be your husband."

   "Oh, I have some clues," she said playfully as she snuggled into his side, "but I'm the one who's grateful. I got a man who's one in a million, I'm sure of that." Crissy looked dreamily into nothing as she continued to play her fingers across Roger's muscular chest. He chuckled.

   "You know, this will be our first Thanksgiving together as man and wife."

   "Say, that's right." Crissy sat up and mulled over the significance of what Roger had said. "Should we spend the day with your family or mine?"

   "You're the only one who has a family to spend Thanksgiving with."

   "You don't have any uncles or anything?"

   "No. The only living blood relative I have is Roxy. She'll be spending the holiday in the pen."

   "I hadn't thought of that." Crissy sighed as she lay down again. "I feel sorry for her."

   "After what she tried to do to you?" Roger's eyes were now fully open. "I knew you were forgiving, but I guess I never expected this. Not really."

   "Whatever has a hold on her, it isn't the real her, I'm sure of that. Mala came to her senses. You yourself said that you had fallen into whatever it is before you met me."

   "Yes." Roger thought about it as he looked at the ceiling. "Roxy seemed to get the worst of it. It may take longer for her to break free." His eyes returned to his wife. "I haven't thought much about Roxy since the trial. She said she never wanted to see me again as she was taken away. Your concern for her is very uplifting."

   "If you ever need a pick-up," Crissy smiled as she pushed herself up and looked into Roger's eyes, "just remember that the girl you married is a cartoon rabbit with the maiden name of Carrots." Roger laughed. Crissy sat up again and reached for a cigarette. "Seriously, though, Rog. I think you should visit Roxy on Thanksgiving. Maybe if she knows you still love her, it'll help snap her out of whatever has her in it's grip."

   "Okay. You may have something. I'll swing by the prison after I drop you off at your folk's house, then I'll come back for a real Thanksgiving dinner with the Carrots. By the way, just how did your family end up with such an ironic name?"

   "You can blame that on a great-great uncle of mine. When he came to America, he thought it would be a better name than Carrotokowitzkey. I can't argue his logic. Carrots sounds silly, but it's easier to say!"

   "Easier to put on a business sign, too." The Carrots name was quite a familiar sight in Creek Bend and it's surrounding towns. With the whole clan gathered together for Thanksgiving, the resemblance to rabbits would be on full display. Could Crissy's parents really fit everyone into their house? Maybe a quick visit was the best option, but Crissy looked forward to holiday reunions with her family. It was really the only time she preferred to be around large groups of people. Roger would be there for her, he just hoped he wouldn't lose her in the crowd!

   Roger arrived outside the prison building, but sat in his car for a while before actually walking up to the door. As he came near, he was surprised to see Mala stepping out. She was just as surprised to see Roger. Mala took a step back when she saw him, sure he wouldn't be overly happy to run into one of the women who attempted to murder his wife. He paused, too, unsure how to handle the situation. He took a breath.

   "Hello, Mala."

   "Roger." Mala felt extremely timid. She knew Roger as a kind, warm-hearted man, though, and his tone conveyed none of the anger Mala expected. It was going to be difficult figuring what subjects to bring up in conversation. Fortunately, Roger started.

   "How's working for Ed and Misty?"

   "It's wonderful. They really make me feel like I'm normal again."

   "From what they've told me, you completely are."

   "You've talked to them about me?"

   "Absolutely. Whatever happened before, I still care about you. You were my best friend growing up. Now you're working for two of the best friends I have now. The subject was going to come up. From everything I've heard, you're doing very well. I'm proud of you."

   "Thank you, Roger, but I had nothing to do with it. Everything that's happened since, eh, the incident, has been entirely the grace of God. That's one reason I came to see Roxy today, because I know there's hope for her, too."

   "So you spoke to her?"

   "No," Mala sighed, "she refused to see me. The Warden says she's only gotten more violent since I got out."

   "If we only knew what this condition was. Roxy was always so sweet as a kid. Playful, even mischievous, but sweet." Roger sighed. "Do you think she'll see me?"

   "I don't know," Mala shook her head, "as much as she hates me right now, she may hate you more." Mala caught herself, she hadn't intended to be quite so blunt. "What I mean is, well..."

   "I know what you mean. Roxy became increasingly proud after I got back from the Army. I know she sees my marrying Crissy as some sort of personal affront. I know she probably never wants to see me again, but Cris and I both thought it might do her some good to know that we're still thinking of her."

   "I think it will. Maybe not all at once, but it'll be a hint that she means something to other people. I came for the same reason. What she needs is some hope to hold onto. If she hangs onto that rage, it'll kill her."

   "I'm so happy to have you back to normal, Mala. I hope we can still be friends."

   "I would really like that. Having your ear for all those years, it made a difference, I think. I was pretty happy as a kid. After what I did to Crissy, though, I figure it best to keep my distance. At least for now."

   "I can't fault your logic, Mala. I'm sure I'd feel the same in your place. Just know that if you ever need anything and you think I can help you, my door is open." Mala breathed deeply, releasing a happy sigh as she smiled at Roger. Roger extended his hand. Mala shook it. Both of them had the instinct to hug each other, but refrained. It was too soon, but there was the hint that someday it would be the right thing to do. They parted on friendly terms, which meant much to both of them. It gave Roger a little confidence he lacked before, and he walked inside the building. 

   As could be predicted, Roxy refused to see Roger. The Warden himself told Roger the bad news. Roger nodded quietly. Maybe next year they could meet on friendlier terms. Still, Roger dug into his pocket and produced some cash. He gave it to the Warden and told him he wanted it spent to have some flowers placed in Roxy's cell. Roses. She always liked white roses. The Warden promised to carry out Roger's wishes. Maybe it was best that Roger had gone long before Roxy got the flowers. He wasn't there to see her rip the flowers apart and stomp on them before breaking down and sobbing into her bunk. The Warden actually felt this a pretty good turn of events. Her crying offered a glimpse of heartbreak rather than her usual rage. It was a small token, but it promised there might be something left in her heart besides ice.

   Beverly parked her car at Davy's house. She turned to Jeannie, who was sitting next to her in the passenger seat.

   "You're sure," Beverly made doubly certain, "Mom and Dad said it was okay if I spent Thanksgiving with Davy instead of the family?"

   "Of course," Jeannie smiled, "they think it's a wonderful thing for you to do."

   "Thanksgiving is one of the few times a year the family is all together," Beverly looked toward Davy's house, "I don't want to turn my back on my family, but I feel it's really important for me to be here instead. This is Davy's first Thanksgiving without his father. I can't imagine what that's like. I just really have to be here, Jean."

   "Believe me, Bev," Jeannie rubbed Beverly's shoulder reassuringly, "we know exactly how you feel. Dad wanted to invite Davy and his mother to our gathering, but he knew this would be better. If you and I join Davy's family for Thanksgiving, it may help make the day a little easier for everyone that knew his dad."

   "There aren't as many cars here as I expected. It must be a smaller family than ours. A lot smaller. I love that kid, Jean. I want him to have the best holiday he can."

   "Then we'd better go on in." Jeannie smiled. Beverly smiled in return and nodded. Before the girls could make it up the walk to the door, little Davy came bursting out. The grin on his face as he ran toward Beverly was almost too much for either girl to stand. Jeannie had to choke back a tear as she watched Beverly crouch down and tightly hug Davy. This was going to be a very special Thanksgiving.

   At the Carrots home, Roger entered to find the house filled with cartoon rabbits milling about. This same crowd had attended his wedding to Crissy. Roger wondered just how they had all managed to fit into the tiny chapel in the first place. Crissy caught sight of Roger and ran to greet him. She pulled him aside to a relatively private corner.

   "How did things go with Roxy?"

   "They didn't. She wouldn't see me. I ran into Mala there. Roxy wouldn't see her, either."

   "I'm so sorry, Rog. It must hurt to be treated like that by a family member."

   "Oh, I'd say the worst of it was gotten out of the way a long time ago. By the time, eh, of the, er, incident, when I had to part company with Rox, we'd already grown apart. I haven't really had time to lament the loss of a sister, I've been too focused on the joys of gaining a wife." Crissy smiled and cuddled his hand against her cheek. 

   "You've gained a lot more than that. Dad wants you to sit next to him at the head of the table."

   "Really?"

   "His highest honor."

   When the entire family had somehow been packed into the dining room and seated around the biggest dining table Roger had ever seen, Crissy's father stood to carve the turkey. Before raising his implements, he addressed the group. A professional speaker could not have made a better address.

   "We've come to another Thanksgiving. It remains my greatest joy that we all understand what this day is about. As those pilgrims did so long ago, we give thanks to God for His provision, protection, and prosperity. And this year we are abundantly blessed by the arrival of new members of the family. Little Cindy down there, the blushing bride of my nephew Clarke. Marilyn, my new grand-daughter celebrating her very first Thanksgiving. And perhaps the face that stands out most at a casual glance is this young man seated next to me. I haven't known Roger long, but all I need to know is that twinkle in my daughter's eye when she looks at him. She never ceases to express a dreamy sparkle of love so deep that it should inspire epic poems like those of old. Her evident happiness just to be his bride is all I need know about a man who has risked all many times over just to secure her safety. Roger, before I cut into this bird, I would be honored if you would lead us in saying grace."

  Roger hesitated for a second, so moved by the words of Mr. Carrots. Then he nodded and stood as the others bowed their heads.

   "Father, we thank you for this time together, for this wonderful meal, and for every blessing we may sometimes take for granted. The touch of a loved one, the blessing of living in a country where we needn't fear persecution for expressing our beliefs, or fear those to whom we grant authority. We are blessed, and we thank you. We thank you for the covenant you took with our founders, and for their example. For freedom and prosperity which you have given us, for your Son above all. That in He and He alone we stand before you in perfection, regardless of the mistakes we have made. Thank you that in His blood we are clean, not based upon our efforts but in His perfection. In His precious and perfect name, Amen."

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 
FROM THE    
CARTOON CUTIES!      

3 comments:

  1. what a Wonderful story
    Thank you for sharing your work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Like the grace Rodger spoke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this story again I was reminded of how much I enjoy your work and why I find it all so enjoyable and satisfying and positive and up lifting and plausible
    I really liked Rodger's Grace and the speech Chrissy's Father made
    I am glad that Roxy seem s to making the first tiny steps toward finding her back to into the light
    Thank you again for sharing your work

    ReplyDelete