Friday, August 16, 2019

Big Glamor, Small Town


   Minerva Mallen sat at a vanity, leaned forward with her elbows resting on the table and her arms crossed and pushing slightly upward to enhance the curve of her chest. With her deep cut dress, combined with her posture of arched back and hunched shoulders, she looked like an annie version of Jayne Mansfield.

   "You'd better get the shot quickly," Minerva told studio photographer Steve Morrow, "I need to take a breath some time." Steve smiled as he lined up the shot one last time. "Just a few more seconds. Smile real big."

   The next afternoon found Minerva in Steve's office going over the proof sheets of the photoshoot. Steve lit a cigarette as he pointed to one of the sheets resting on his desk. "The Boss likes this set here." Minerva studied the sheet indicated. They were indeed a fine selection of photos.

   "You do some amazing work, Steve. These are some of the best cheesecake shots I think I've ever seen."

   "The subject makes all the difference. You've got a natural talent for this kind of work."

   "It's funny. C.B.I.P. has been doing this sort of thing for over a decade now and I'm still getting used the the idea of seeing annies photographed like they were Marilyn Monroe or Rita Hayworth."

   "It shouldn't be that ground-breaking. A girl is a girl, annie or no."

   "Yeah, but seeing cartoons only as comedy figures has always been the way of things. I guess we're onto something, though. The public seems to like our glamor approach. How do you ever keep coming up with new material after shooting thousands of pictures like this?"

   "That's simple enough. Every girl brings something different to the table. There's always variety as long as there's a personality behind the pictures. Take a look here. You have a glamorous look that combines with a comfortable relaxation which hints at an every-girl approach-ability. These pictures show the girl next door with a taste of high society. And then there's Misty Carter. Her pix show the high society girl with a taste of next door regularity."

   "Sounds like the results would come out about the same."

   "Not quite. Each subject brings a unique spin to the material, no matter how subtle." Minerva looked even more intently at the photos. Yes, there was something there which made her photos stand apart from Sugar's or Daisy's or Wendy's.

   "I think you're as much a part of that equation, Steve. I think you know how to bring out who we are because you know us so well. For most guys, this would just be a job, but you've always made a point of getting to know the people you work with. I think that's what makes the shots so good."

   "I'm sure it's a factor of some kind. I could never get the shots I want if I didn't know the girls I was shooting. I remember how much help Daisy was, she was the first annie I shot like this. She has that warm personality that puts you at ease the moment you meet her. That's what I was trying to capture in my shots. I guess it worked. I got the position of official studio photographer from that job."

   "I'm glad you did, Steve. If any of us ever have a problem, we know we can come to you for help. This studio just wouldn't hold together if you weren't a part of it." Minerva could see she embarrassed Steve as he stumbled for the words with which to reply.

   "Thank you, Minnie. That's very humbling."

   "We may not say it often enough, but we really do appreciate you."

   Steve smiled, too humble to add anything to what Minerva had told him.

   "I've been blessed, Minnie. Working with all of you is a treat in itself. I'm grateful you feel you can come to me. And I promise my door will always be open."

   That evening, Steve stood on his patio. He puffed his cigarette as he looked up at the stars just starting to come into view through streaks of cloud turned coral pink by the setting sun. His wife Patty walked up behind him and instinctively wrapped her arms around his torso. She sighed as she closed her eyes and rested her head against his back.

   "Supper is ready," she cooed, "we can start any time."

   "Do you still wish we lived in the city?" Steve tossed his cigarette into an ashtray. Patty remained still, so comfortable where she was.

   "No," she said, "I haven't wanted that for a long time. This rural life takes some getting used to after growing up in L.A., but I wouldn't trade it now for anything."

   "I'm glad you feel that way. I have a feeling this is exactly where we should be."

   "You'll get no argument from me," she hugged him tighter, "I love the privacy here in Creek Bend. I think it's one of the selling points."

   "I know the stars enjoy it. They're internationally famous, but get to live like regular people out here. You can't put a price on that. I'm really glad we moved here."

   "It's a great town. And it's a great place to work. We've got some wonderful friends at that studio, Steve."

   "Yes, Patty, we certainly do."

1 comment: